Lose your return ticket - on purpose
If you thought escaping to the islands is the only way to spoil yourself silly, you've never visited a W Hotel. Forget what you know about hotels (and their one-perk wonders) and introduce yourself to fashionable travel.
Putting the "WOW" back into hotel stays
Staying at a W Hotel can feel a little like stepping onto a Hollywood set. High style restaurants, cutting edge design and signature spas add up to distinctly glamorous flavor. With locations in all major North American cities as well as across the globe - Athens, Milan, Paris, St. Petersburg (to name just a few) - the W Hotel chain is the juggernaut of hotel glitz.
I stayed at the W Hotel in San Francisco with a fellow editor and visited both their signature spa and restaurant while visiting. While I loved the innovative design of the space, it was the little details that let me know this hotel understood travelers - especially female travelers.
6 things I love about W Hotel San Fran
Many of the W Hotels lean towards the flamboyant, but San Fran's is upscale and chic without being pretentious.
- The goody basket in our room was filled with lots of girly stuff - eye masks, moisturizing socks, a CD of relaxing music, sugar-free breath mints and loads of toiletries.
- The lobby isn't your average lobby - in fact it's called a living room. Complete with comfy chairs and coffee tables and lots of outlets so you can power up while snuggling up.
- What's more it's walking distance from Union Square, the Financial District and the Waterfront. From my experience, Californians are directionally challenged so pack your android phone.
- The Bliss Spa - the name pretty much says it all. I enjoyed the triple oxygen facial, which did a good job of undoing some of the damaging behaviour I'd been indulging in on my trip.
- The rooftop patio. I have a thing for rooftop patios, and the view from here is divine.
- When it comes to planet protection, the San Fran location is LEED Certified Silver so you can feel good about staying here.
More of W to love
W Hotels have more than 35 hotels worldwide and plan to double their footprint in 2011. If traveling the world is in your future, whet your appetite on these sweet openings:
Puerto Rico, Vieques Island - March 25, 2010
Koh Samui, Thailand - June 1, 2010
St Petersburg, Russia - September 1, 2010
Denspasar, Bali - November 1, 2010
Austin, Texas - December 9, 2010
Marrakech, Morocco - December 1, 2011
Ever stayed at a W Hotel? Tell us what you thought of it!