Entertainment in the city that never sleeps
By Carly Milne
They say that what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.... but if that were truly the case, how would any of us know that it's the weirdest and wildest city to cut loose in?
Forget knowing the word "entertainment" - Vegas defines it. The Venetian has Blue Man Group, Mandalay Bay hosts Mamma Mia, Spamalot has taken over The Wynn while Penn & Teller have taken over the Rio. But the ruler of the strip is Cirque du Soleil. With its humble beginnings as a street performance in a small Quebec town in 1984, Cirque du Soleil has expanded to become a worldwide phenomenon with troupes that tour all over the world.
But Las Vegas is home to 5 of their unique shows.
- There's O at The Bellagio, featuring a 1.5 million-gallon pool as the performers' centerpiece.
- Zumanity makes its home at New York, New York, featuring a more adult take on the acrobatics Cirque is known for.
- KA makes its home at the MGM Grand with a 360-degree rotating stage
- The Mirage's Love pays tribute to the music of The Beatles.
- But the one that started it all was Mystere at Treasure Island.
Opening in 1993, Mystere has entertained over 8.5-million guests in 6,000 performances, and it's easy to see why. With performers coming at you from all angles - the ceiling, beneath the stage, from behind your seats - the activity is both mesmerizing and breathtaking. Watch as skilled trapeze artists swing 40-feet above the stage in Arial High Bar, marvel at the core strength of performers who seem to effortlessly glide up poles extending from the stage in the Chinese Poles segment. And don't feel bad about thinking there's got to be a trick to the incredible show of strength exhibited by a pair of brothers slowly lifting one another into the air using only their extremities, a show of sheer brute strength during Hand to Hand. With a theatrical flare, Mystere proves anything is possible.
Wherever you decide to stay and play in Vegas, may it be an experience you never forget. Want to know how to play and then regroup in our favorite city?
Read more of Carly's articles on GoGirlfriend:
- How to Completely Relax
- 8 Great Detox Spa Treatments
- Tahiti - Why You Should Go, Even if You're Single
- Mexico Bound - My Second Life in Spanish
- Navigating Royal Caribbean's Wellness Program
- 5 Reasons Royal Caribbean Rocks Girlfriend Cruises
- Finland - Dancing Under the Midnight Sun
- Las Vegas Spotlight - Shows!
- Las Vegas Spotlight - Sleeping
- Las Vegas Spotlight - Food!
- Las Vegas Spotlight - Playing!
- Seattle Fast Facts
- Vancouver Fast Facts
- Fairmont Hotels - Luxury + Green Travel